Star Trek: The Next Generation by Playmates

I'll admit- I still bought these even when it was socially unacceptable for someone my age to be buying them (but I now collect a lot more- funny, huh?)

Playmates launched this line in 1992 to capitalize on the show's massive popularity. Star Trek had never done well in the toy form, so it was a big gamble that paid off huge. The company also had the foresight to market them to both children and collectors, though some will say they were marketed more towards the older crowd. I mean, they individaully numbered the figures, for chrissakes. (Actually, they just numbered the feet, but, whatever.)

I started buying them in 1993, when most of the command crew was hard to find. Especially Troi. My first figures were Q, Klingon Warrior Worf (in his Klingon armor), Geordi LaForge in dress uniform, and Locutus. I got them out of a JC Penney catalog, and was instantly hooked. Target was the store of choice to get these. I scored a Data there, plus a couple Deep Space Nine figures.

Then the Generations movie came out. And I bought a few of them. After that, the line seemed to disappear, and I got busy collecting Star Wars.

I didn't get back into it until 2004, when I found a great e-tailer called Big Bad Toy Store. They had bunches of the figures that I missed, all still mint on card, and for $4-6 a piece. That's where I purchased the bulk of my current collection. When I get my camera back, I'll put up a picture of it all.

Back to the history. The line underwent a few packaging and scale changes. Star Trek as a property was beginning to die even then, and by 1999, Playmates was barely making any product. I think the last things they made were a few 9" figures and an Enterprise E for the Insurrection flick. After that, Playmates quietly let the license lapse in 2000.

The figures themselves were rather cartoony, looking at them now, but ten years ago, they were great, especially since action figure sculpting hadn't reached the point where they looked like real people (check out Art Asylum's Star Trek stuff- fuckers look alive.)
A lot of characters were made that nowadays, wouldn't have a chance in hell. I doubt a Lwaxana Troi figure will be made in DST/AA's new line. But there's one in Playmates' line. And almost by that virtue alone, it makes it a great line, and one worthy of your attention if you like Star Trek.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dear makers of the upcoming Masters of the Universe movie

GI Joe wave 7

Webstor!