R.O.B. (Robotic Operating Buddy)



I'm looking for a complete ROB. And the compatible games for it, Gyromite and Stack Up. If you can help me out, LMK.

I remember seeing this thing in action at a Toys R' Us in 1988, before I got my NES. I thought it was awesome that you got a freakin' robot with a game system. To a seven year old, that's the coolest thing ever. YOUR OWN FUCKING ROBOT!!!!
Well, when I received my NES for Christmas that year, there was no robot in the box. Instead, there was a two-tone gray gun called the Zapper. Where the hell was my robot?

Turns out the thing wasn't bundled with the NES very long, in fact, that one I saw in that Toys R Us was an example that had been sitting around for a couple years.
I heard ol' ROB kind of sucked anyway, and since his presence in the bundle almost doubled the price, he was dropped in favor of the Zapper, and later, the stupid Power Pad (that stupid vinyl thing that sat on the floor and you could play Track & Field on it. Bet you'll never see something that makes young video gamers get off their asses and interact with game like that again.)

I've been poking around ebay lately, and while you can get ROB for about fifteen bones shipped, the gyros, claws, and gyro base will eventually make the cost about $100. (So, you know, if you want to part with it much cheaper than that, I'm game.) I've found several copies of Gyromite at my local Game Crazy for about a buck a piece, so that won't be difficult to obtain. This item is just part of my quest to get the wackier items available for the NES. Someday, I might try to get a Power Glove, but I'm sure the one I pick will have come from some fat kid whose sweat (and Glove) smells like butter. :P

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dear makers of the upcoming Masters of the Universe movie

GI Joe wave 7

Webstor!