BATTLETOADS!!!!



Oh yeah. This game came out in 1991, the height of the anthropomorphic-animals-kicking-each-other's-asses craze. I remember riding my bike down to the local video library trying to get my hands on this game. It took a month before it happened.

When I got it home, I popped it in my NES (it still worked very well back then.) The first two stages were easy.
The Turbo Tunnel, however, was a complete bitch. It wasn't until a few years ago that I played it again after purchasing it at a video game store. Then I couldn't get past the surfing stage. Bleh.

I still haven't beat it yet, but I'm trying. The frustration factor of this game in like an 11 on a scale that stops at 10. But it's still fun to play, like most challenging NES games. You keep thinking there's stuff you haven't seen yet, so that keeps you going. Plus trying out different strategies to get over obstacles until you run out of lives.

There were a few sequels to it that I don't own, even though I have the systems they're used with. I think the Sega Genesis version is about the same as the NES version, albeit with better graphics. I don't own it, but I might pick up the copy that's been sitting at my local Rhino Games for the last few months for $5. Battletoads/Double Dragon is a classic in its own right, and one game I've not been able to get my hands on as of yet. There's also Battletoads in Battlemaniacs for the SNES, which I remember renting a few times, and being blown away by how awesome the graphics were (hey, it was like 1994. 16-bit was the shit.) It's also another game I have yet to find a fairly-priced copy of. Then, last and least, the Gameboy games. Just shorter versions of the games I've mentioned, if I remember my Nintendo Power coverage right. I've seen a few at Game Crazy, but I don't feel like paying $10 for a game I know I'm going to get my ass beat at.

Next up: CONTRA!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dear makers of the upcoming Masters of the Universe movie

GI Joe wave 7

Webstor!