Star Trek USS Enterprise Transporter Room review



I have mentioned here that I'm getting pretty geeked for this new Star Trek movie. I picked this up recently, since I never did get the Transporter Playmates did for their TNG line in the 90s. I wanted this right away.

I'm glad I got it. I haven't seen the movie at this point, so I can't tell if it's accurate, but who cares- it's fun. Want to know how it works? So would I. Here's what I can tell you:
Take one of your 3.75" Trek figures and place it on the included blue base. You put the figure and base in the designated spot, put the transporter thingy over the figure. You press the delta shield, and lights and sounds, and your figure has disappered behind a mirrored piece of... something. Then you take the transporter thingy off the base, and place it wherever. Then, to make the figure reappear, you hold two buttons on the side of the thingy and press the delta shield again. You remove the thingy and your figure is standing there! It's like magic or something!

Yeah, it really isn't that great when you describe it, and the transporter itself is pretty ungainly to look at. Fortunately, if you're a good geek and buy all the 3.75" figures, you get pieces for the Bridge and Transporter playsets to expand them. Three certain figures get you more pieces for the transporter pad, and I think the playset looks a little better with the extra pieces. There's a vinyl mat you can lay out to make it look a little bigger, but I don't have room for it so I left it out.
There's also a bonus Scotty figure included, which leads me to believe their won't be an Engineering playset coming from this film. Not a bad thing. Maybe they won't spend much time in the lower decks in this film, or won't suffer so much from technical McGuffins.

It's a neat display piece for collectors, and if there are some kids that get into this, they might have a fun time with it. You won't be able to get any figures from any other line in the transporter, due to it being so narrow. The only figures that will fit into this are the 3.75" Trek ones, since only their builds are slender enough to fit. So no transporting any of your Star Wars toys anywhere. But you don't care about that, since you're a discriminating adult collector, amirite?
It's nowhere near worth $30, but then again, with companies cutting corners on everything and still charging more, nothing is worth what you pay for it anymore.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dear makers of the upcoming Masters of the Universe movie

GI Joe wave 7

Webstor!