all your starships are belong to us



I'm suffering from extreme hype build-up leading into the new Star Trek movie. I'm not quite as geeked as I was before any of the Star Wars movies, but I'm quite a bit older now. Anyway, I picked up Playmates' version of the redesigned Enterprise last night, and it's without a doubt the crown jewel of their roster of product.

It's smaller than I expected. I thought, judging by the size of the box, that I'd have to put the nacelles and those arms onto the hull, but the ship came fully assembled, with every detail painted on, and no stickers. Which was great. It's substantially smaller than the Playmates ships from the 90s, but it does look pretty good with DST's ships. Hell, it's almost too big scale-wise for them, but if all these ships had a consistent scale from two companies across fifteen years, I'd be shocked. It looks great next to my DST Enterprise-E, so that's all I care about.

I was a little annoyed that I forked over $30 for a mass-market ship this small, but the electronic features and lights made up for that. This thing is loud, bright, and genuinely annoying- the perfect electronic toy.

The sculpt is very detailed, which also softened the $30 blow. The stand is sturdy, and allows the owner to pivot and turn the ship 360 degrees. The sturdy stand is a big plus, since my Art Asylum/DST Enterprise-A stand broke and I haven't found a glue strong enough to hold the stand back together. That doesn't seem like it's an issue with this stand.

I had to get this now, just in case it sells out. I was around back when Playmates was making their ships in the 90s, and those were ridiculously hard to find, plus they cost $30 back then. (Seriously, just try to find a Voyager or Enterprise-B now for less than $300.) If this film catches fire, this could be a difficult piece to find. I think Star Trek will be the best film of the summer. Wolverine looks kinda dumb, Terminator is directed by McG, and I really don't need to again state my opinion on the Transformers and GI Joe movies. I'll expand on that later, though.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dear makers of the upcoming Masters of the Universe movie

GI Joe wave 7

Webstor!