he has the power.



So, this is out in the wild finally, after years of fans asking for it. It took me all week to find a set for myself. I went to Best Buy trying to get their exclusive, and my store is the only one in Iowa that doesn't have it in stock. In fact, the employees there said I should just order it online, not offering to do it in the store for me. I bristled at the suggestion, since it's a new release.

I went to Target, and lo and behold, found it for cheaper than BB. I was simply happy to find a copy without having to pay shipping.

I watched the first three episodes, which comprised the premiere movie called 'The Beginning.' I had forgotten how badass this cartoon was. The writers actually offered an origin for He-Man, something the original cartoon lacked, since that series was supposed to hit X number of episodes and just run in syndication from there, while this new series was more story-driven, having a clear beginning and (hopefully) a decent end. Which of course, didn't happen.

This show clearly tried to toe the line between what kids liked to see all the while trying to make something entertaining for older He-Man fans like myself who watched the original show, and it succeeded, in my opinion. Unfortunately, the kids didn't get on board with the show in decent enough numbers, and after 39 episodes, the series was unceremoniously dumped along with the (fucking awesome, best-of-the-decade) toy line.

This first volume collects the first 13 episodes on three discs. This release was produced by BCI, those great folks who brought us fairly-priced sets of He-Man and the Masters of the Universe, She-Ra: Princess of Power, and The New Adventures of He-Man on DVD the last few years. Of course, this release is plagued by an authoring mistake on the first disc, which does seem to happen quite a bit on BCI releases. He-Man.org has the skinny on that.

That shouldn't deter you from picking this up. It's under $20, and it's He-Man. We don't get a lot of that these days. And until they make a really kick-ass live-action Masters flick, this is all we'll have.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dear makers of the upcoming Masters of the Universe movie

GI Joe wave 7

look at the size of that thing!