Serenity Malcolm Reynolds and 'Mercenary' Jayne by DST

I have never spent more money on shittier figures in my life.

We'll start with Jayne, since I wanted this figure the most and was really let down by it.
Mercenary Jayne's arms are completely immobile. Not just at the shoulders, but also at both elbows, upper arms, and wrists. His knees are pretty much fused as well. The only articulation points that work are the feet and the neck. He holds his myriad of weapons well, if you can get them in his hands. The head sculpt looks OK, better than Mal, anyway. All in all, I can't believe I spent $20 on this figure.

Mal fares a little better, but not much. Both his shoulders don't move, but at least his elbows bend and his wrists twist. The legs and head move properly as well.
His hands aren't sculpted well, at all. Only by the will of God is he holding his revolver as he stands here on my desk.
The face sculpt doesn't even resemble Mal or Nathan Fillion at all.

The paint on both of them looks OK (though it needs a little more work), but I think that's what is holding all the joints frozen. I think I'll have to try the boiling water trick, but I'm afraid that might ruin the paint jobs on these figures. No faith in specialty market paint jobs here.

The overall verdict? If you're a big, big fan like me, I'd buy them, but keep 'em MOC. They're useless loose.
But if you're not a big fan, I'd suggest taking your money elsewhere.
Maybe it's a good thing DST isn't making anymore. If the rest of the crew gets made to the standards of these two, this line will be considered the worst toy line since The Matrix by N2 Toys.
There's really no excuse in this day and age of such plastic-smithing marvels that figures like this are sold. These aren't cheap by any means (average price $15 a crack) but I've seen better quality in the CORPS! crap available at WM for a dollar a piece.

I've had a stuck joint on a couple of DST Buffy figures, and I've had Lorne's head fall off on me, so I daresay DST needs to spend a little more time on quality if they're going to charge $13-15 each for their figures. I hope the upcoming DST Star Trek line doesn't suffer the same fate.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dear makers of the upcoming Masters of the Universe movie

look at the size of that thing!

GI Joe wave 7