G1 Galvatron- my first impressions

I'm going to wait until I get a camera for an in-depth review, but I just had to blather on about this thing now that I finally have one.

First off, he's huge. Almost as tall as Ultra Magnus, which is pretty damn big. About a foot, more or less. He towers over most of my Transformers, but I really don't care. Part of the thing of being a G1 fan is you learn to forgive height differences and the fact that Megatron, who stood taller than Starscream in robot form, could be held in Starscream's hand while in gun mode. Scale is the second thing to go out the window after your money.

I figured out the transformation pretty easily, even though the instructions are in Japanese. G1 transformations are easy. You just have to do it once, and you'll know it for the rest of your life. I could be 80 years old and forgotten how to control my bladder and bowels, but you can bet your ass I'd remember how to transform Optimus Prime and Soundwave.

I love the battery-powered sounds in this figure. I happened to have the two triple A batteries required laying around (since my optical mouse is powered by the same battery) so I popped the batteries in and woke up my roommate with loud Japanese robot utterings. He has five phrases, but the only one I can make out is "Destrons, transform!" (Destrons are what the Decepticons are called in Japan.) He also has a laser blast sound and that crazy transforming sound that every kid who owned a Transformer pretended to do.

It was $80 well spent. Again, I wish I lived in Japan, since it would have cost me half as much to buy one. There's no way Hasbro will reissue this guy, and I figured, what the hell? He's finally colored like he was in the cartoon, he has the Matrix of Leadership he stole from Ultra Magnus in the movie, he's complete (most used specimens on ebay are missing the orange cannon and laser rifle), his face is more evil, and he's not someone else's used toy. That goes a long way when you're buying twenty-year-old toys. I hope Takara reissues Cyclonus and Scourge so he'll have someone to boss around.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to reenact that scene in the movie where a Leonard Nimoy-voiced Galvatron atomizes Starscream. Peace and love.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dear makers of the upcoming Masters of the Universe movie

look at the size of that thing!

GI Joe wave 7