i left my pants in another galaxy



Picked up my Masters of the Universe Classics Zodac today. This is the only figure thus far that gave me pause- do I really want to spend $30 on a character that's a lame-o? I had Zodac as a kid, and never really found much use for him. Of course, he was 50 cents at a garage sale in 1986, and it was a He-Man toy, so I couldn't pass him up. But now it's 2009 and he costs $30. I went ahead and bought him anyway. I'm glad I did.

Zodac Zur here is the first figure in the line that includes that other great MOTU staple, the laser gun. It's kind of small, but considering the guns in the vintage line were too big, I forgive it. His armor is much more detailed this time around, adding what looks like a jetpack on the back. His helmet and armor look almost exactly the same as they did in the 80s, just much more detailed now. It's not so obvious in pictures; it's much more so in person.

The guy is called a 'cosmic enforcer' and is tasked with keeping things in balance throughout the universe, and aside from the fact that he's wearing a loincloth and no pants, he almost looks like an intergalactic policeman. I imagine if he was keeping things 'in balance', He-Man would be out of a job, or maybe he's just one of those characters/plot devices that just show up and say "Yo, this is fuckered up, you should fix it. I can't, I'm sworn not to interfere" or something like that. Which is really why I was indecisive on buying him. He's just there, a figure from the earliest days of the MOTU line that straddled the line between good and evil.

As soon as I opened him, I was glad I purchased him. Zodac was one of the first 8 figures, appearing in 1981 alongside He-Man, Skeletor, Beast Man, Mer-Man, Man-At-Arms, Teela, and Stratos- all the 'heavy hitters.' It's really not a MOTU line without Zodac, and his unique helmet really makes the shelf feel more complete. Plus, with his armor, we can get a Wonderbread He-Man repaint, and the gun can be used again for either Kobra Khan or Man-E-Weapons- it's a win, really, as all MOTUC figures so far have been.

Speaking of win, check out Webstor. His awesomeness cannot easily be measured, but I am biased as Webstor was one of my favorite bad dudes back in the day.

Next month, I get to review Hordak. Fun fact- I got Hordak for my birthday in 1985, and now I get to buy a brand-new Hordak the same month in 2009. I can't really describe how tickled I am by that.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dear makers of the upcoming Masters of the Universe movie

look at the size of that thing!

GI Joe wave 7