Cobra Viper Pit



Here it is- exactly what us Viper nuts have been asking for since Hasbro started reissuing the RAH molds. A multi-pack of Vipers in red and blue. The weapons may not be 100% correct to that great 1986 Viper, but I doubt Hasbro would have done that even if they could have. As it is, you get five grunts, one officer, four funny-looking rifles, two little guns (if you can't tell, I'm no arms expert) and two of the machine guns that came with the 2006 SAW Viper. Plus, you get six red stands, which always come in handy for displaying either Joes or vintage Star Wars figures.



The officer is the one with the gold faceplate. It's an interesting way to change up the diorama a little bit, but I might have preferred all silver-masked Vipers. I'm sure I could trade it off for a silver-masked one if I wanted to, but I'll just leave it be.

I have quite a few of the green Viper that Hasbro issued in 2002 in their GI Joe vs. Cobra line (and just as many of that awful Mirage figure.) That particular use of this mold was prone to a screwy head, in that the figure faced down, and nothing you could do would make the head stay in place upright or in any other position but facing down. Sad to say, that hasn't been fixed completely, but it seems to be less of a problem with this set. It could just be that I have a lot of crappy 2002 Vipers, or a really good Pit set, but I wouldn't let that issue put you off this set. It will likely be the last GI Joe item we get until the 25th Anniversary collection starts. (As a side note, I'm doubtful we're ever going to get the last DTC wave at this point- there just can't be time enough to get them produced and shipped, unless they're on the boat from China already and we're going to be surprised.)

I managed to get this set at my local Toys R Us, while they're still here. $25 plus Iowa's share. Considering a single complete loose 1986 Viper will cost you that much, I think it's good. It could be a lot cheaper, because let's face it, this mold has been used several times in the last twenty years, and I'm pretty sure it was paid for in 1986. But, it's an exclusive between the internet stores and TRU, so that's why we have that price. If you're a Joe (or Cobra) fan, you probably already have it, but if you're on the fence but really like Cobra army builders, push aside small children to get your hands on a set.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dear makers of the upcoming Masters of the Universe movie

GI Joe wave 7

look at the size of that thing!