Nostalgia and how it becomes that.

A great article on the Death of Saturday Morning Cartoons.

It kind of makes you sad, knowing that a new generation is missing out on that phenomenon. Of course, back then, you could pretty much only watch cartoons on weekday afternoons and Saturday mornings, unless your parents had cable so you could get Nickelodeon, or if they paid for the then-premium Disney Channel.
Now there are entire networks devoted to cartoons, and I doubt I'll lament the quality of modern cartoons, since I don't watch them and I bet people my age in 1987 thought The Real Ghostbusters was a terrible cartoon.

I guess the point is that, even though kids don't have cartoons on Saturdays on networks, they still have more access to cartoons than we had. Though getting up on Saturday mornings and watching Gummi Bears and Ghostbusters was fun, it was more a symptom of a simpler time, when most couples stayed married and kids weren't afraid to like cartoons or spend their parent's money on toys.

I read this little blurb of wisdom somewhere, and it's stuck with me since, and it's especially poignant for a site such as this:

Every generation thinks that its first exposure to something is the best that something has ever been.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dear makers of the upcoming Masters of the Universe movie

GI Joe wave 7

look at the size of that thing!