Transformers: The Movie 20th Anniversary Special Edition



Go buy this. Now. Even if you have the Rhino version. Sony has given the treatment that the Transformers always deserved on DVD but never got with this set.
I picked it up this week, and loved it. The colors are much brighter and richer this time around, owing to Sony's painstaking restoration. On the first disc, you'll see a side-by-side comparison with the Rhino version, and it's like night and day.

My favorite special feature has to be the old toy commercials. Most of them a re from Japan, but they're so deliciously strange to American audiences, so they have to be seen to be believed. There weren't very many American ones, but I assume that those are being saved for Sony's rerelease of the G1 TV series next year. Hopefully that will have as much time and effort put into its restoration as well as some color-correcting.

This package is on two discs- the first disc is a widescreen presentation of the film, while the second is fullscreen. I like my movies to be widescreen, so I'll watch that version most often. But as some TF fans are ever sticklers for things to be as they were, the fullscreen version is included since TF: The Movie was technically not a widescreen film even though it was released theatrically. Go figure. But it's there in both flavors.

I bought this at Wal-Mart because it was the only place I found it at. My local Best Buy didn't have it out yet, and Target was sold out. I'm actually glad I bought it there. Wal-Mart has a little freebie with theirs, an Autobot logo iron-on transfer.
I actually remember having some iron-ons that related to this movie on a shirt when I was a kid. Back when it was in theaters, of course. If I recall correctly, they came with Ziploc bags, and my mother used a lot of those. My memory on the exact characters is far from perfect, however. I clearly remember there being three iron-ons, and one of them was Wreck-Gar. That one I'm sure of. I think another one was Galvatron, and I'm not sure on the last one at all. Either Ultra Magnus or Rodimus Prime. Those looked something like this:

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Neat, aren't they? I stole those images from ebay just now, but I'll probably end up buying them too.

I like this movie, and I'm happy with the purchase. Plus, I get to hear Stan Bush songs in 5.1!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dear makers of the upcoming Masters of the Universe movie

look at the size of that thing!

GI Joe wave 7