manbatpig



Well, the man part is obvious. The bat part is obvious in the ears and the Horde symbols. The pig is less obvious. It's in the nose, and if you ever saw any of the She-Ra cartoon, you'd know that whoever Filmation cast to voice Hordak gave him this awful snort that sounded like a pig, so that's why I picked the title.

Anyway, UPS dropped off my Hordak figure today. Apparently, since I don't live in what they consider a war zone anymore, they just leave it at the door. Works for me. I gleefully opened it when I got home from work, and there it was- the first new Hordak action figure I've owned since my fourth birthday in 1985 (which is also in June. Huzzah.)

Hordak is a great action figure. All the things that made Hordak back then look so great are present, and there's a few added flairs- namely, the staff that the 200x incarnation carried. It's the best of both worlds. He also carries a meaner-looking crossbow and little bat dude that the vintage version had, proving how far toymaking has come in the last 25 years. Of course, those original versions were made for kids. These are not.

Astonishingly, even though Mattel claims to keep upping production on these, Hordak sold out in an hour and ten minutes, faster than both offerings of Mer-Man. Crazy. Of course, I just did a search for this Hordak on ebay, and most are between $35-45. Not exactly the crazy money people were expecting to get, I'm sure. Hell, for as much trouble as you have to go through to get these, I'd certainly expect a little more profit. About the only figures actually trading for crazy money are He-Man, Skeletor, and King Grayskull, all of whom Mattel has said will be offered again in the near future. Perhaps that's the key to making any money on these: wait a few months. Which nobody can do these days.

Sorry if this is a less-than-inspired post. It's hot out, and my energy is just sapped. I will try to update this post when I'm feeling a little better, like perhaps an anecdote about my adventures with the vintage Hordak.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dear makers of the upcoming Masters of the Universe movie

look at the size of that thing!

GI Joe wave 7