Ben can has Temple of Doom toys?


Yes, Ben can has them.

Matt called me on Saturday, and said he found this whole wave at Pamida, which I'd never visited before, but might start to now. He picked me up Indy, Mola Ram, Short Round, and Willie Scott. I passed on the Thuggee dudes, since I wasn't too sure about owning them. Which I may regret, but I may yet not.

First, the good stuff. I've been wanting Mola Ram since the line started, and now I finally own it. It helps that he's one of the crown jewels of the line. A truly fantastic figure, with all the right accessories, the flaming heart and chalice of Kali.

Indy is great too. After the pathetic Indys from Raiders and Last Crusade, Hasbro truly delivered a good Indy here. This particular version is from the bridge scene at the climax of the film. The figure has the sword he used to cut the bridge, which is a nice touch.

Willie is a pretty good figure too, and thankfully, she's a lot quieter like this. Hasbro chose to depict her in the sacrificial dress, which was pretty elaborate for a cult that's just going to rip your heart out and drop you in lava (which I assume that was in the movie...) This is easily the best work Hasbro has done on any female figure in the Indy line, but when you consider they didn't have their shit together until this last wave, that's not saying much.

The bad. The only one left is Short Round. I like Shorty, I always have. But I suffered the great misfortune of having this otherwise great action figure break at the right knee. I have never, ever, EVER had that happen on any Hasbro action figure I've ever purchased right out of the package. I suppose it's just dumb luck, but did it have to happen on a figure that'll cost me $20 or more to replace? I got out my glue and glued the leg back on, so at least I can still display the figure, which is all I do with these anyway. It's with the support of a Star Wars stand, but hey, it works.

It's really a shame this wave never made it out in big numbers, or that the second Raiders wave with Toht won't see release. I find it hard to believe that sales didn't justify a limited run on these for release on Hasbro's own website. What they fail to see is that most of the unique figures sold, it was just the Indys and Mutts from the Crystal Skull wave that killed this since they were so overshipped. The fact that those figures were even shipped with these Temple of Doom figures is astonishing.

Mattel is having insane success selling limited runs of $20 He-Man toys, a line that at its last attempt at retail, also failed. I'm guessing Hasbro's logic is that they can't sell them at $7, so they probably wouldn't have a chance at $15 or more as an online exclusive. Which isn't bad logic at all.

By hook or by crook, you owe it to yourself to get these figures. I never got around to getting the case, since I'm lazy, and it paid off this time. Hopefully, stores other than Pamida get these in greater numbers, and since Hasbro has to make quite a few units to justify even making them at all, there's got to be some in a pipeline somewhere.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dear makers of the upcoming Masters of the Universe movie

look at the size of that thing!

GI Joe wave 7