Sideshow Jedi Knight Luke Skywalker

I'd show you a picture, but since this Blogger photo software sucks shit, you'll have to go without.

I picked one of these up this weekend (let's hear it for tax returns and the squandering of them...) and, in short, I love it.

It's shot right to the top of my single favorite Star Wars collectible. Which is hard, yet simple, to do. Most of my SW collection consists of Hasbro's action figures and other cheap knick-knacks. I decided to cut back on buying figures I didn't want so much, and to bring some higher-end stuff into my collection. I clearly can't afford prop replicas, but when I saw that Sideshow had sublicensed the 12" figure line from Hasbro, I was intrigued. I'd always wanted to collect Hasbro's sixth-scale offerings, and I have a few, but they were really cheap and sometimes, hideous. But Luke here blows everything Hasbro's ever done right out of the water.

And he should, since he was three times the price of Hasbro's line. Luke cost me $60. I bought him at my local comic shop. (You can preorder them all directly from Sideshow, as most people do. After shipping, the cost is about $57, so I didn't do too bad.) I saw Luke for the first time last weekend, sitting there in his double-windowed box. I was floored, and thought about buying it right then. But I decided to wait until I got a little more money together, or until my tax return showed up. It showed up on Friday, and I bought him Sunday.

When I got it home, I almost didn't want to open it. The packaging is magnificent, and it almost felt like a crime to open it. But when a fellow collector told me that there's no tape or twist-ties holding the figure down, I took Luke out.
I'm glad I did. This thing is a work of art. Almost everything you could want from a Jedi Knight Luke Skywalker is here- two lightsabers, one ignited and one not; several hands, one including the blaster burn he got at the Battle of Carkoon, and another featuring his gloved hand covering the burn; the femur bone he wedged in the Rancor's jaw; the robe he wore at the beginning of the film; the vest he wore while facing the Rancor; and a stand.
The costume underneath is the black one he wore in the Emperor's Throne Room. If you recall, that also had a little flap that was folded down during his battle with Darth Vader. Sideshow took that into account, and added a bit of wire to the costume to make it fold up and down and look natural at the same time. That little bit surprised me.

If you were lucky enough to get the exclusive version, you also got the Skiff Guard's blaster that Luke stole and tried to threaten Jabba the Hutt with. I, alas, did not get this version, but it's something I can live without.

This purchase pretty much means Sideshow has me (and my money) lock, stock, and barrel. But their line is well worth the purchase price. I also have the Buffy they did from Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and that's a work of art as well. Sideshow also has the license for sixth-scale figures from The Lord of the Rings movies, but I'm not sure about that line yet.

I hope Sideshow works their magic on Darth Vader, Boba Fett, and a Stormtrooper soon. Hell, even a Darth Maul would rock my socks off.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dear makers of the upcoming Masters of the Universe movie

look at the size of that thing!

GI Joe wave 7